As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you an avid hiker who also happens to be a proud owner of a Glock 20 handgun? If so, you’re probably looking for a reliable holster that can keep your firearm secure and easily accessible during your outdoor adventures. In this article, we will explore the Best Glock 20 Holster for Hiking specifically designed for hiking, ensuring both comfort and safety on the trails. So, let’s dive in and discover the top holsters that are perfect for your hiking needs.
Hiking is a thrilling outdoor activity that allows you to connect with nature and explore the beauty of the wilderness. However, it’s important to prioritize safety and be prepared for any situation that may arise, including encounters with wildlife or unexpected emergencies. As a responsible Glock 20 owner, having a reliable holster that securely holds your firearm while providing easy access is crucial during your hiking expeditions.
Importance of a Good Holster for Hiking
When you’re out on the trails, the last thing you want is for your Glock 20 handgun to be bouncing around or falling out of a poorly designed holster. A good holster ensures that your firearm stays firmly in place, protecting it from damage and preventing any accidental discharge. Additionally, a well-designed holster allows for a quick and smooth draw, ensuring that you can react swiftly if needed.
Best Glock 20 Holster for Hiking Comparison in 2023
Belt Clip-on Holster for New
Made in USA+Belt Loops on Both Sides
Rounded OWB Paddle KYDEX Holster
ADJUSTABLE ‘POSI-CLICK’ RETENTION & CANT+100% MADE IN USA
BLACKHAWK Ambidextrous Appendix Reversible Carry Inside The Pants Holster
Appendix Reversible Carry+Ambidextrous orientation
BLACKHAWK Stache Premium
1.5” J-Style belt clip adjustable+handgun-mounted RDS
SENTRY Comfort Carry Inside The Pant
Covered with Anti-slip microfiber suede+Adjust for height and angle
Top Picks for the Best Glock 20 Holster for Hiking
Rounded OWB Paddle KYDEX Holster
The Rounded OWB Paddle KYDEX Holster is an outside-the-waistband (OWB) holster designed for concealed carry.
key features of this holster:
- Compatibility: The holster is specifically designed to fit Kimber, Colt, Ruger, and Springfield 1911 3.5″ Officer Model (Non-Rail) pistols (unless otherwise specified).
- Material: The holster is made of .08″ KYDEX, a durable and lightweight thermoplastic material. It is precision-formed over proprietary CAD-designed aluminum molds, ensuring consistency, fit, and quality.
- Holster Features: The holster has an undercut trigger guard to prevent interference with the draw. It also features an over-cut open-face design to accommodate threaded barrels and clear suppressor height sights. A full-length sweat guard and rear sight shield protect your weapon from sweat. The fiber-reinforced stealth belt clip provides secure concealment.
- ‘Posi-Click’ Retention & Adjustable Cant: The holster offers adjustable retention with a satisfying ‘click’ sound to indicate a secure fit. The retention pressure can be adjusted using black oxide steel hardware. The cant, or carry angle, is also adjustable from -5 to +20 degrees, allowing you to customize the holster’s positioning for different carry styles.
- Made in the USA: The holster is proudly designed, engineered, and manufactured in the USA using American-made machinery and equipment. It is backed by a lifetime guarantee, ensuring its durability and quality.
The Rounded OWB Paddle KYDEX Holster provides a comfortable and secure option for carrying your 1911 3.5″ Officer Model pistol. Its precise fit, adjustable retention, and customizable cant angle make it suitable for various carry positions. Additionally, its high-quality construction and lifetime guarantee ensure long-lasting performance.
BLACKHAWK Ambidextrous Appendix Reversible Carry
The BLACKHAWK Ambidextrous Appendix Reversible Carry (A.R.C.) Inside The Pants Holster is a versatile holster designed for comfortable appendix carry.
Crucial features of this holster:
- A.R.C. Design: The holster is specifically designed for appendix carry, allowing for comfortable and concealed carrying of your firearm in the front of your waistband.
- Ambidextrous Design: The holster is fully ambidextrous, meaning it can be used for both left-handed and right-handed individuals. This provides flexibility and convenience for users of any hand orientation.
- Inside The Pants (IWB) Carry: The holster is designed to be worn inside the pants, offering discreet and concealed carry. It securely holds the firearm close to the body for better concealment.
- Reversible Design: The holster can be reversed to accommodate both left-handed and right-handed users. This reversible feature adds to its versatility and allows for personal preference in carrying.
- Comfortable and Versatile: The A.R.C. design is intended to provide comfort during extended wear and offers versatility in how you position and carry your firearm.
Please note that this holster is commonly used in hunting and other outdoor activities, making it suitable for sports and recreational purposes as well.
Belt Clip-on Holster for New, Larger S&W M&P
The Belt Clip-on Holster is designed specifically for the larger S&W M&P M2.0 9mm & 380 Shield EZ with a barrel length of 3.675″ to 3.8″.
The crucial features of this holster:
- Compatibility: This holster is designed to fit the new, larger S&W M&P M2.0 9mm & 380 Shield EZ models with the specified barrel length. It is not suitable for the original Shield model with a 3.1″ barrel.
- Barrel Length Fit: The holster is compatible with both standard 3.675″ and ported 3.8″ barrels, providing versatility for different barrel configurations.
- Magazine Pouch: It features a front-mounted extra magazine pouch for convenient storage of an additional magazine.
- Laser Compatibility: The holster is designed to accommodate the pistol with or without a small under-barrel laser. However, it is not compatible with a tactical light or light/laser combo.
- Reinforced Thumb-Break Strap: The holster is equipped with a reinforced, adjustable thumb-break strap that provides secure retention of the firearm.
- Belt Clip and Loops: It includes a metal clip for easy attachment to the belt, and the clip can be moved from side to side. Additionally, the holster has belt loops on both sides for alternative attachment options.
- Construction: The holster features a soft nylon lining that protects the firearm’s finish and a sturdy, long-wearing outer shell. It is constructed with a 3-layer design for durability.
Please note that this holster is made in the USA and is specifically designed to fit the mentioned S&W M&P M2.0 9mm & 380 Shield EZ models with the specified barrel length.
BLACKHAWK Stache Premium IWB Holster
The BLACKHAWK Stache Premium IWB Holster is a high-quality concealed carry holster manufactured by BLACKHAWK, a leading U.S. manufacturer of tactical gear and equipment.
The crucial features of this holster:
- Design: The holster is constructed using injection molded polymer, ensuring durability and reliability. It features a 1.5″ J-Style belt clip that is adjustable for both height and cant, allowing for a customizable fit.
- Ambidextrous: The holster is designed to be ambidextrous, making it suitable for both right and left-hand carry. It offers versatility and adaptability to meet individual preferences.
- Low Profile Shirt Guard: The holster is equipped with a low profile shirt guard, which adds comfort during extended wear without impeding the draw stroke.
- Compatibility: This holster is designed to accept the most popular handgun-mounted RDS (red dot sight) optics, accommodating a wide range of firearms and sight configurations. It is also compatible with Stache IWB carry accessories and popular Discreet Carry Concepts Gear Clips.
- Premium Model: The holster comes as a premium package, which includes the holster itself, a belt clip, an adjustable concealment claw, an adjustable inside-the-waistband magazine carrier with a belt clip, and an accessory wing. This comprehensive set allows for various customization options and offers a complete concealed carry solution.
It’s important to note that BLACKHAWK is a reputable manufacturer known for producing reliable and functional tactical gear. The BLACKHAWK Stache Premium IWB Holster provides a secure and comfortable option for concealed carry, offering convenience and versatility to the user.
SENTRY Comfort Carry Inside The Pant
The SENTRY Comfort Carry Inside The Pant / Tuckable Holster is designed for comfortable and discreet concealed carry.
The crucial features of this holster:
- Material: The holster is covered with an anti-slip microfiber suede material that provides comfort for all-day wear. It is soft against the skin and prevents the holster from shifting or sliding during movement.
- Easy to Clean: The holster can be easily cleaned using warm water and mild detergent, ensuring that it remains hygienic and in good condition.
- Tuckable Design: The holster features an Angle Adjust clip that allows the shirt to be tucked over the holster, providing optimal concealment. This feature enables the user to maintain a professional appearance while carrying concealed.
- Adjustable Height and Angle: The holster can be adjusted for both height and angle, allowing for a customized fit and draw stroke. This adjustability ensures that the user can find the most comfortable and accessible carry position.
- Level 1 Retention: The holster provides Level 1 retention, which means that it securely holds the firearm in place while allowing for a quick and smooth draw when needed.
- Thermoformed: The holster is thermoformed, which means that it is molded to fit the specific shape and contours of the firearm. This ensures a secure and snug fit for optimal retention and stability.
Overall, the SENTRY Comfort Carry Inside The Pant / Tuckable Holster offers comfort, versatility, and adjustability for concealed carry. It is designed to provide a secure and discreet option for carrying your firearm throughout the day.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Glock 20 Holster for Hiking
Before we dive into the specific holsters, let’s explore some key factors to consider when selecting the best Glock 20 holster for hiking:
Comfort and Fit
During long hikes, comfort is paramount. Look for holsters that are designed to distribute the weight of your Glock 20 evenly and provide cushioning to prevent discomfort or rubbing against your body.
Retention and Security
A holster with excellent retention is essential for hiking. It should securely hold your Glock 20 in place, even during vigorous movement or challenging terrain. Adjustable retention mechanisms can provide a personalized fit to accommodate your preferences.
Material and Durability
When hiking, your holster will face various weather conditions and rough environments. Opt for holsters made from durable materials like Kydex or high-quality nylon that can withstand the elements and maintain their shape.
Accessibility and Quick Draw
In situations where every second counts, having a holster that allows for a quick and smooth draw is crucial. Look for holsters with adjustable cant or quick-release mechanisms to ensure easy access to your Glock 20 when needed.
Adjustability and Versatility
Versatility is key when choosing a holster for hiking. Look for models that offer adjustable carrying positions, such as appendix carry, hip carry, or cross draw, to accommodate different preferences and hiking scenarios.
Belt Compatibility and Attachments
Ensure that the holster you choose is compatible with the width and type of belt you intend to use while hiking. Consider options that offer various attachment options, such as paddle attachments or belt loops, to accommodate your preferred carry style.
Concealment and Versatility
If you prefer concealed carry while hiking, choose holsters that offer low-profile and minimal printing. Look for options that allow for versatile carry positions to adapt to different clothing and hiking situations.
Training and Practice
Invest time in training and practicing with your chosen holster to ensure a smooth and safe draw. Familiarize yourself with the retention mechanisms and practice drawing and reholstering your Glock 20 in various hiking scenarios.
Now that we’ve discussed the essential factors to consider let’s explore the top picks for the best Glock 20 holsters for hiking.
How to Choose the Best Glock 20 Holster for Hiking Your Needs
When selecting a Glock 20 holster for hiking, there are several important factors to consider. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you choose the right holster for your hiking needs:
1. Consider the Holster Type: There are various types of holsters available, including inside-the-waistband (IWB), outside-the-waistband (OWB), shoulder holsters, and chest holsters. For hiking, OWB or chest holsters are often preferred as they provide easy access, comfort, and better weight distribution.
2. Accessibility: Since hiking involves constant movement and potential obstacles, quick and easy access to your firearm is crucial. Look for a holster that allows you to draw your Glock 20 smoothly without any obstructions or complicated retention systems. It should securely hold the firearm in place while still allowing for a swift draw.
3. Retention: While accessibility is important, your holster should also provide adequate retention to keep your Glock 20 secure during rigorous hiking activities. Look for holsters with adjustable retention systems, such as adjustable tension screws or retention straps, which allow you to customize the level of retention to your preference.
4. Comfort and Fit: Hiking involves extended periods of physical activity, so comfort is vital. Consider holsters with padded or breathable materials that minimize friction and prevent discomfort during long hikes. Additionally, ensure that the holster fits your body type and is adjustable to accommodate your waist size, allowing for a snug and secure fit.
5. Material and Durability: The material of the holster should be durable, weather-resistant, and able to withstand the rigors of hiking. Nylon, Kydex, or high-quality leather holsters are commonly used for outdoor activities. Ensure that the holster is designed to withstand moisture, sweat, and other environmental factors encountered during hikes.
6. Retention and Trigger Guard Coverage: Your chosen holster should cover the trigger guard completely to prevent accidental trigger manipulation and ensure safety. Verify that the holster has a well-defined trigger guard retention, providing an added layer of security for your Glock 20.
7. Compatibility with Hiking Gear: Consider how the holster will integrate with your hiking gear. If you typically wear a backpack or other equipment, ensure that the holster doesn’t interfere with your gear or impede your movements. Chest holsters, for instance, are designed to work well with backpacks and allow easy access without compromising functionality.
By considering these factors and conducting thorough research, you’ll be able to choose a Glock 20 holster that suits your hiking needs, ensuring both convenience and safety while exploring the great outdoors.
Tips for Proper Holster Usage While Hiking
Using a holster properly while hiking is essential for comfort, accessibility, and safety. Here are some tips to ensure proper holster usage while hiking:
1. Familiarize Yourself: Before heading out on a hike, become familiar with your chosen holster and practice drawing and reholstering your Glock 20. Get comfortable with the holster’s retention system and ensure a smooth and controlled draw.
2. Positioning: Choose the right position for your holster based on your preference, comfort, and accessibility. Consider wearing your holster on the hip, appendix, or chest, depending on the type of holster you’ve selected. Find a position that allows easy access while still being secure and comfortable during extended periods of hiking.
3. Maintain Trigger Discipline: Always keep your finger off the trigger until you’re ready to shoot. Practice proper trigger discipline when holstering and drawing your Glock 20. Ensure that the holster completely covers the trigger guard, preventing any accidental trigger manipulation.
4. Retention Adjustment: If your holster has adjustable retention, fine-tune it to your liking. Strike a balance between secure retention and the ability to draw your firearm smoothly. Regularly check and adjust the retention screws as needed, as they may loosen over time.
5. Secure Holster Attachment: Ensure that your holster is securely attached to your belt, waistband, or chest rig. Use a sturdy belt or attachment system that can withstand the movement and rigors of hiking. A loose or insecurely attached holster can be uncomfortable and pose a safety risk.
6. Stay Hydrated: Hiking often involves physical exertion, and you may sweat. Moisture can affect the holster’s retention and increase the risk of corrosion on your Glock 20. Consider using a sweat guard or choosing a holster made from moisture-resistant materials.
7. Regular Maintenance: After your hike, clean your Glock 20 and inspect your holster for any dirt, debris, or moisture. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for cleaning and maintenance. Proper care ensures that your holster functions optimally and extends its lifespan.
8. Practice Safety: While hiking, adhere to firearm safety rules at all times. Always keep your Glock 20 pointed in a safe direction, treat it as if it were loaded, and be aware of your surroundings. Stay mindful of fellow hikers, wildlife, and any potential obstacles that may require you to secure or adjust your firearm.
Remember, safety is paramount when using a firearm while hiking. Following these tips for proper holster usage will help ensure a secure, comfortable, and responsible experience while enjoying the great outdoors.
Finding the best Glock 20 holster for hiking is crucial for both your safety and comfort during outdoor adventures. By considering factors like comfort, retention, material, accessibility, and adjustability, you can make an informed decision. Remember to choose a holster that suits your specific needs and preferences, ensuring that it enhances your hiking experience while keeping your Glock 20 secure and easily accessible.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Glock 20 holsters are typically designed to fit the specific model, taking into account its size and shape. It’s essential to choose a holster that is specifically designed for the Glock 20 to ensure a proper and secure fit.
Yes, wearing a Glock 20 holster while backpacking is a viable option for keeping your firearm secure and easily accessible. However, it’s crucial to consider the comfort and fit of the holster, especially when carrying a backpack for an extended period. Look for holsters with adjustable positions that can accommodate both the backpack and the firearm.
Appendix carry can be suitable for hiking with a Glock 20, but it depends on personal preference and comfort. Some hikers find the appendix position convenient as it allows for quick access to the firearm. However, others may prefer different carry positions based on their body shape and hiking activities. Trial with different positions to find what works best for you.
The most comfortable holster position for hiking varies from person to person. Some hikers find hip carry or cross-draw positions comfortable, while others prefer appendix carry. It’s important to choose a position that allows for a comfortable fit, easy accessibility, and doesn’t restrict your movement during hiking.
Yes, there are holsters available that can accommodate extra magazines along with your Glock 20. These holsters usually have additional pouches or slots designed to hold spare magazines securely. If carrying extra magazines is important to you, look for holsters specifically designed with this feature in mind.
Selecting the best Glock 20 holster for hiking involves considering factors such as comfort, retention, material, accessibility, and adjustability. By choosing a holster that meets your specific needs and preferences, you can ensure a safe and enjoyable hiking experience while keeping your Glock 20 readily available. Remember to prioritize safety, comfort, and the ability to adapt to different hiking scenarios.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.